ABILENE, Texas -- Hardin-Simmons’ men’s tennis team
saw its 62-match winning streak against American Southwest
Conference West Division opponents come to an end with a 7-2 home
loss to McMurry Tuesday afternoon at the Streich Tennis Center.
HSU won two of three doubles matches, winning at No. 2 and No. 3 by scores of 9-7. McMurry took control of the match after the first set of singles as MCM took five of the six first sets. Andy Cairens was the only Cowboy to win a first set, winning 7-5 over Chris Bumann at No. 1.
However, Bumann came back to win the next two sets and the rest of the Cowboys lost in straight sets to give McMurry its first win over the Cowboys in the ASC era.
The loss was the first for the Cowboys since April 4, 2000 when they lost to Schreiner. HSU is now 5-8 overall and 4-1 in league play. McMurry improved to 13-5 overall and to 5-0 in ASC West action. McMurry has the inside track to host the ASC Tournament.
HSU will play at Schreiner on Thursday and will conclude the regular-season on Friday at Trinity.
McMurry 7, Hardin-Simmons 2
1. Chris Bumann (MCMM) def. Andy Cariens (HSU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
2. Bryan Rainwater (MCMM) def. Emmanuel Navejas (HSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Daniel Olivares (MCMM) def. James Aylesworth (HSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Tony Williams (MCMM) def. Trey Chavez (HSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Brad Armour (MCMM) def. Cullen Dees (HSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Brent Abilez (MCMM) def. Sean Strehlow (HSU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Will Davis/Bryan Rainwater (MCMM) def. Andy Cariens/Cullen Dees (HSU) 8-5
2. Stephen Salazar/Sean Strehlow (HSU) def. Chris Bumann/Tony Williams (MCMM) 9-7
3. Trey Chavez/Todd Henington (HSU) def. Brad Armour/Brent Abilez (MCMM) 9-7