BELTON, Texas — Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team claimed the American Southwest Conference West Division title on Friday evening with a 6-3 win over Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton.
The Cowboys took control of the match with a sweep of the three doubles.
The two teams split the six singles matches. Erich Bein won 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1 singles over Will Summers. Culleen Dees and Michael McCullough each had straight set wins for HSU at No. 3 and No. 4 singles. Gavin Ybarra and Steven Stanley split their first two sets and lost third-set pro sets. Sean Strehlow lost 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2 singles.
HSU is now 10-5 on the year and swept the ASC West with a 6-0 record. Mary Hardin-Baylor fell to 8-6 on the year and 4-1 in ASC play. The Cowboys play at Trinity on Saturday.
Hardin-Simmons 6, Mary Hardin-Baylor 3
1. Erich Bein (HSU) def. Will Summers, 6-4, 6-1
2. Joshua Pownall (UMHB) def. Sean Strehlow, 6-4, 6-4
3. Cullen Dees (HSU) def. Garrett Pekar, 6-2, 6-1
4. Michael McCullough (HSU) def. James Turner, 6-1, 6-1
5. Collin Davies (UMHB) def. Gavin Ybarra, 6-7, 6-2, 10-1
6. John Martin (UMHB) def. Steven Stanley, 7-6, 2-6, 10-5
1. Bein/Strehlow (HSU) def. Pownall/Summers, 8-3
2. McCullough/Record (HSU) def. Davies/T.J. Kittrell, 8-5
3. Stanley/Ybarra (HSU) def. Martin/Turner, 8-5
--- HSU ---