TYLER, Texas — Hardin-Simmons' tennis team fell to Mississippi College, 5-0, in the American Southwest Conference Tennis Championship semifinal on Saturday morning at the Tyler Tennis and Swim Club.
The Cowboys fell in a hole early losing all three doubles. The Cowboys had their chances in doubles. No. 3 was serving for the win and MC broke to put the match back on serve. The Choctaws fought off a match point in the tiebreak and won the breaker 8-6. No. 1 doubles was up a break, but the Choctaws won back the break and then broke again to take the match 9-7.
MC won at No. 5 singles to make it 4-0 and then won at No. 3 singles to clinch the match.
HSU closes the season with a record of 10-7. MC will face Texas-Tyler in the ASC final on Sunday.
Mississippi College 5, Hardin-Simmons 0
1. Erich Bein (HSU) led Christian Branning, 6-2, 0-1, did not finish
2. Chris Wooten (MC) led Sean Strehlow, 6-3, 1-0 did not finish
3. Jacob Womack (MC) def. Culleen Dees, 6-2, 6-1
4. Matt Whiteside (MC) led Michael McCullough, 6-5, did not finish
5. Matthew Martin (MC) def. Gavin Ybarra, 6-1, 6-4
6. Dudley Lampton (MC) led Steven Stanley, 7-5, 1-0, did not finish
1. Branning/Wotton (MC) def. Strehlow/Bein, 9-7
2. Womack/Whiteside (MC) def. Tony Record/McCullough, 8-1
3. Martin/Lampton (MC) def. Stanley/Ybarra, 9-8 (8-6)
--- HSU ---