ABILENE, Texas — Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team won for the fifth time in its last six matches with a 7-2 win over LeTourneau in American Southwest Conference action at the Streich Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon.
HSU took an early lead with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Erich Bein and Nathan Chavez won at No. 1 doubles and Michael McCullough and Sam May won 8-4 at No. 2 doubles. LeTourneau won 8-4 at No. 3 doubles.
HSU won five of the six singles matches on the day. Bein, Chavez, May and Jordan Wilson won in straight sets at No. 1, 3, 4 and 5 singles. Andrew Eurek won a tiebreaker in the first set and won the third set pro set 10-6 at No. 6 singles. Michael McCullough fell in a second-set tiebreaker and lost 10-8 in the third set pro set.
HSU is now 7-9 on the year and 4-3 in conference action. The win put the Cowboys in good position to advance to the ASC Tournament. LeTourneau fell to 10-4 overall and 4-2 in league play. HSU is off until April 11 when it plays Howard Payne.
Hardin-Simmons 7, LeTourneau 2
1. Erich Bein (HSU) def. Kendall Beggs, 6-4, 6-2
2. Laird Beaty (LETU) def. Michael McCullough, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-8)
3. Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Sindre Johnsgaard, 6-3, 6-1
4. Sam May (HSU) def. Josh Bailey, 6-0, 6-2
5. Jordan Wilson (HSU) def. Michael McLaughlin, 6-1, 6-3
6. Andrew Eurek (HSU) def. Morgan Weaver, 7-6 (7-2), 6-7 (7-9), 1-0 (10-6)
1. Bein/Chavez (HSU) def. Laird Beaty/Bailey, 8-3
2. McCullough/May (HSU) def. Johnsgaard/Beggs, 8-4
3. Weaver/McLaughlin (LETU) def. Wilson/Eurek, 8-4.
--- www.hsuathletics.com ---