ABILENE, Texas — Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team won for the eighth time in the last nine matches as it closed out American Southwest Conference play with 9-0 sweeps of Sul Ross State and Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday at the Streich Tennis Center.
In the morning match against Sul Ross State, HSU rolled in the three doubles and won five of the six singles matches in straight sets. Sam May won a third set pro set to win at No. 3 singles. Michael McCullough moved to No. 1 and won 6-3, 6-2.
In the afternoon match, HSU started strong in double winning close matches at No. 2 and No. 3 and rolling at No. 1 to take a 3-0 lead after doubles.
HSU won five of the six singles matches in straight sets. Erich Bein rallied from losing the first set to win at No. 1 singles.
HSU is now 10-9 overall and 7-3 in league play and has qualified for the ASC Championship that will be played in Tyler in two weeks. UMHB is 6-6 on the year and 4-5 in league play and Sul Ross State finished 1-13 overall and 1-8 in conference play.
The Cowboys will host McMurry next Saturday.
Hardin-Simmons 9, Mary Hardin-Baylor 0
1. Erich Bein (HSU) def. Scott Wilding, 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Jacob Stamps, 6-4, 6-2
3. Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. John Martin, 6-1, 6-0
4. Sam May (HSU) def. Collin Davies, 6-3, 6-0
5. Jordan Wilson (HSU) def. Jordan Jackson, 6-1, 6-4
6. Andrew Eurek (HSU) def. Brandon Adkins, 6-4, 6-2
1. Erich Bein/Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Tevin Ogo/Collin Davies, 8-3
2. Michael McCullough/Sam May (HSU) def. John Martin/Scott Wilding, 8-6
3. Jordan Wilson/Andrew Eurek (HSU) def. Jacob Stamps/Jordan Jackson, 8-5
Hardin-Simmons 9, Sul Ross State 0
1. Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Chris Villafranco, 6-3, 6-2
2. Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Daniel Fraire, 6-1, 6-2
3. Sam May (HSU) def. Ronnie Martinez, 6-2, 6-7, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Dylan Price (HSU) def. Alfred Olivo, 6-2, 6-3
5. Justin Fry (HSU) def. Dominic Lonoluski, 6-1, 6-2
6. Jordan Subia (HSU) def. Victor Garcia, 6-3, 6-1
1. Erich Bein/Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Ronnie Martinez/Chris Villafranco, 8-4
2. Sam May/Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Daniel Fraire/Alfred Olivo, 8-3
3. Andrew Eurek/Jordan Wilson (HSU) def. Victor Garcia/Dominic Lonoluski, 8-0
--- www.hsuathletics.com ---