The Cowboy defense held the Tigers to 253 yards in the game and did not allow a point until a Cort Cowart touchdown with :22 to play.
HSU took control early in the game. The Cowboys forced a punt on the first possession and came back with a three-play 62-yard touchdown drive. Reese Childress scored on a 29-yard run.
The Cowboys forced another punt and then went 96 yards in 15 plays with Weston Garner capping the long drive with a 1-yard touchdown run. Nico Francino made it 17-0 with a 31-yard field goal with 13:43 to play in the first half.
Cory Ward, playing in his hometown, intercepted a pass and returned it 53 yards for a touchdown with 2:21 to play in the first half to make it 24-0 at intermission.
Neither team scored in the third quarter and the Cowboys capped a nine-play 45-yard drive with a Kerry Sloan 3-yard run for a score to make it 31-0 with 6:24 to play.
Weston Garner was 20-of-25 for 196 yards and Kerry Sloan had 76 yards on 17 carries. Childress added 60 yards on six carries. Jessie Ramos had nine catches for 80 yards.
Jeremy Simmons had 139 yards rushing to pace the Tigers and Austin Grauer was 14-for-29 for just 109 yards and an interception.
The Cowboys are 4-0 on the year and Trinity fell to 4-1. HSU will play at McMurry for the Wilford Moore Trophy at noon on Saturday.
- All four of HSU's opponents have been undefeated going into the game.
- HSU will renew its rivalry with McMurry for the Wilford Moore Trophy next Saturday at noon.
- The Cowboys have allowed just 21 points in the first three quarters of games this season. HSU has outscored opponents 121-14 in the first half and 169-21 through three quarters.
- Ryne Lewis had two sacks and now has 17.5 for his career, which ties him with Hank Hornsby and Jacob Freeman for third all-time at HSU. He is 6.5 sacks away from tying Scott Forbes' career record of 24.
- Korey Zavala also moved into the top 10 in career sacks as he now has 14, which ties him with Link Harris for ninth all-time.
- James Place moved into the career top 10 in tackles. He now has 208 for his career, which is 10th all-time. With eight tackles, he passed Anthony Renfro, Jonathan Petty and Corbett Boone on Saturday.
- HSU has forced 12 turnovers on the season and have turned the ball over just three times.
- HSU leads the all-time series with Trinity 21-6-4 and have won three straight.
--- www.hsuathletics.com ---